A few weeks ago we built an oak roof for an extension in London. Due to difficulties regarding sand blasting in the area, we’ve adopted a new approach… Where we usually have the frame sand blasted on site, we are having it done in the workshop before it is sent to site. Thankfully as it is a smaller frame, we’ll be able to raise it and then cover it up to protect it from the elements before it is finished. We got some footage of the frame being sandblasted and it’s amazing to see the change it makes to the frame!
Meanwhile as the team are not able to work in the work shops for the noise, they’ve moved out into the sun to attach the Barham frame first floor joist hangers. All set up and ready to go keep an eye on our Instagram to see how they do!
However as you can see in these photos, they made some good progress with the framing last week. The sun room roof in particular is a wonderful piece of carpentry!
Over on site much progress has been made! The foundations have been laid and main services infrastructure installed. There are entrance points for electric, water and telephone connections that will run into the foundations. As you can see drain pipes and a main drain outlet have also been set up negating unsightly exterior panels and boxes. The block pads that you see in the photos are designed specifically to bear the weight of the frame’s internal post. This is looking to be a very interesting project so make sure to come back every now and then to see how the job is moving along!
While we’ve had little to do on our end this week our friends from D J Moys Rendering have been cracking on with the external rendering! The front and side’s are fully rendered and by the end of next week the job should be completed, including the corner block work that you can see being prepared in the photos. There’s no doubt though that this is going to look incredible when the build is done!
That’s all we’ve got for the outside, but work has been ploughing on internally as well. As you can see in the pictures below the entire ground floor has bee fully covered with rigid insulation and a wireless underfloor heating system has been installed in every ground floor room. Each room has an independent set of pipes running in a loop to and from the manifold. There might not have been much for us to do this week but we took a day to start filling the walls and ceilings with eco wool insulation. The next step is to lay screed on the ground floor which will allow for use of a scaffolding to insulate the roof and then past that point the plaster board will be going in.